Monday, June 3, 2013

Travel Week (Day 21 & 22): Roaming through Rome & Parading through Paris: Part 1...to be continued ;)

Wow... I just woke up from the longest/ most jam packed dream of my life! It's all a blur... but I remember seeing the Italian countryside zooming past a train window, the catacombs of the Colosseum, Eiffel Tower in the pouring rain, and French crepes...yum :) Hold it!... What is this authentic Venetian mask and oil painting of Paris doing on my dresser? Wait a minute...Did I really BACKPACK THROUGH ROME & PARIS?!?!


HaHA! I DID!!! No wonder I was craving gelato and crepes when I woke up! (This also explains why I crumpled to the floor when I got out of bed this morning- SO SORE! Backpacking through Europe on hyper speed + 1,000,000 stairs= Herculean legs of STEEL! ) I can't believe I spent the past week in Rome & Paris! It was the most awe inspiring and culturally overwhelming week of my life thus far! SO many priceless/ hilarious memories I will cherish forever, so in the words of Julie Andrews "Let's start at the very beginning, a very good place to start..."

Like any good daughter before heading off to Rome & Paris for a week on her own, I Skyped my parents! They were practically saying their final farewells thinking something terrible was going to happen, but HAHA! I proved to them that I am capable of travelling through Europe without being "Taken" (Dad, do NOT watch that movie until I get back, ok? This is for you own peace of mind! I don't doubt you are as capable as Liam Neeson, but better safe than sorry!) And with that we were on our way!



 In general, it was a MIRACLE that we got everywhere without getting lost. I don't know why everyone was so worried, because all the Italians & French people we met were super nice and polite! We got in late Monday night to Rome Fiumincio (had to do the "Brussel Hussle" to not miss our lay over in Belgium!) and spent the night in the cutest family run motel close to the Sea (Glazed croissant for breakfast... its a real thing that should be monitored!) Tuesday was our 1st day in Rome, so after planning out our adventures (THANK YOU CIERA!), we took a train through the Italian countryside (dreams DO become reality!) to Vatican City, where (after a fun detour trying to find Wifi at a little pizzeria) we took a tour of the Vatican Museum & Sistine Chapel. SENSORY OVERLOAD #1 


This begins a very long stretch of Greek & Roman Mythology references that I KNEW! (Thank you yet again BYU class!) So can you see Aphrodite in the middle? Oh wait...that's me! *Toss. toss* Next on our list was the Pantheon, and after learning how to CORRECTLY use a map, we found it! We accidentally came in during a prayer service, so took a quick rest on the pews, hugged a pillar and were on our way...don't worry, its not normal :)


Next we found the Trevi Fountain (Lizzie McGuire Movie, eh?) and had to throw in a coin, right? Maybe we would become Italian Pop stars over night too! Sadly, no Paolo came to whisk me into a duet, but Poseidon was waiting for a wish!...



Turns out that by tossing a coin into the Trevi Fountain, it means you are destined to come back to Rome...not to find love :P Oops! Well that's good too! We had dinner at Sciarra Pizzeria with very friendly waiters (the most jolly old Italian man kept teasing us about coming back to Disco with him!) and we were very happy :) The only thing better than pizza in Italy is gelato from San Crispino's! Get Honey & Ginger/ Cinnamon flavor if you're ever in Rome= PERFECTION IN CHILLED SWEETNESS! We hiked to our hotel then crashed but not before entertaining ourselves with Italian SpongeBob Squarepants on TV! It was hilarious, but so is everything when you're exhausted from a day roaming through Rome :)

More "Roaming through Rome" to come tomorrow... :)


No comments:

Post a Comment